Did you know The Association for Graduate Liberal Studies, or AGLSP, has their own publication called Confluence? This is a wonderful publishing opportunity for MALS and IDS students. For more information about the publication, check out their homepage. Here are their submission guidelines:
Confluence welcomes manuscripts from (1) students, (2) faculty, and (3) graduates of AGLSP member programs, including essays, research papers, short fiction, creative nonfiction, poetry, art pieces, and photography. The journal also accepts book reviews of interdisciplinary works of interest to the Liberal Arts Community. Students, faculty, and graduates who are not members of the AGLSP may submit if they establish AGLSP individual membership. Note: Alumni are allowed to submit within one year’s time following completion of their graduate degree programs. To submit beyond this time, one must establish individual AGLSP membership. See Membership for instructions.
* Prose manuscripts may be up to 20 double-spaced pages, including bibliography, tables, images, and endnotes. Poetry should be single-spaced, with each poem limited to 10 pages. No more than one work of prose, three poems, three art pieces, or three photographs. You may submit in two genres. All work must be your original creation.
* The journal follows the Chicago Manual of Style: please consult the manual when composing your manuscript. Use endnotes as opposed to footnotes. Endnotes should appear directly following the text.
* 12 pt. type, Times New Roman Style
* The editors must insist that each writer takes care in preparing the manuscript. Style (italicization, bold underlining, etc.) should be consistent throughout the manuscript such as in the treatment of book titles and foreign words. Proofread careful for possible errors of any sort, noting especially any foreign or highly technical words or phrases.
* The first page of your manuscript should begin with the title of the piece, followed by the author’s/authors’ names(s). The manuscript should follow with no page headers/footers or any other designations. Please number your pages. Manuscript should allow for 1” margins.
* All text, including tables, must be incorporated into the body of the manuscript. Any graphic material such as photographs or diagrams should be submitted as separate digital files (jpeg.pdf.tff.). The dimensions of graphics should be no greater than 4.25 inches wide by 6/5 inches high with a resolution of 300 dpi or greater. The placement of graphic material must be clearly indicated in the body of the manuscript.
* Prepare a short biographical statement as a separate document. The biographical statement should be from three to five sentences in length and should include the author’s institutional and program affiliation. After the biographical statement, also include full phone, email, and mailing information.
* Submit manuscript and biographical statement files to submissions@AGLSP-Confluence.org in Windows format, Word document, by email to the editor. In the Subject section of the email, state “Confluence Submission” and the title of your submission. Your submission will be acknowledged by e-mail and will be under review and consideration for approximately three months. All rights return to the author of the original work.
Gary D. Swaim, Editor-in-Chief
Confluence: The Journal of Graduate Liberal Studies
Southern Methodist University
P.O. Box 750253
Dallas, TX 75275-0253
SUBMISSION DEADLINE FOR THE OCTOBER CONFLUENCE HAS PASSED. Check the AGLSP Confluence webpage for next submission opportunity.