Seeing the sights in the city doesn’t have to drain your back account of its every last cent. Many places in the city have free entry if you show your DePaul ID, offer a discounted price with your DePaul ID, or offer reasonable deals.
Read on to find out about all the places you could go for a great price.
- Chicago Water Taxi: The Water Taxi is a fun, easy way to get around the Loop. Take a boat ride on the Chicago River from destination to destination at any of the seven dock locations offered by the service. An all day pass is only $8.
- American Sightseeing: This organization is a great place to visit when you want to go on sightseeing tours of the city. Your Demon Discount takes 10% off charter and trolley services, and 20% off sightseeing services.
- Divvy Bikes: The Divvy Bikes stationed around the city are great ways to get around the city quickly. Your Demon Discount gets you a $75 Annual Membership fee (as opposed to a regularly $99 fee for non-students).
- Segway Experience of Chicago: If you prefer not to ride on a bus, bike, or boat, you can tour the city on a Segway! Your Demon Discount gets you 15% off each ticket.
Theater & Comedy
- Victory Gardens (Biograph) Theater: This famous theater where bank robber John Dillinger was shot in 1934 offers discounts to students on their world-renowned plays. Tickets are half off for students with a valid student ID, and students are also eligible to receive $15 rush tickets 30 minutes before a show with a valid ID.
- Steppenwolf Theater: As a student, you can see shows from this world class theater for $15 with a student ID. The theater also hosts university nights, where students can enjoy food, drinks, and a behind the scenes look at the show before it starts. For more information, please visit this student discount page.
- The Second City: At The Second City, you can enjoy the famous improv comedy show where SNL stars such as John Belushi, Rachel Dratch, Chris Farley, and Tina Fey started out. With a Demon Discount, you can get 15% regularly priced tickets on Tuesday-Thursday and Sunday shows.
- UP Comedy Club: Whether stand-up, improv, sketch, or other kinds of comedy, UP Comedy is sure to have something unique for everyone. A Demon Discount gets you 25% off of Second City’s Life Hack shows on Sundays at 4pm, as well as 25% off of Second City’s Improv All-Stars shows on Mondays at 8pm. There is limited availability, so act fast!
- Improv Olympics: For very reasonable prices ($5-$12) you can watch an improv comedy team at play! At various theaters on select nights, you can purchase tickets.
Music and Film
- Millenium Park Events: Millennium Park has some great free events until the weather gets too chilly. From now until the beginning of October, you can enjoy free music and film. Check here for a list of events.
- AMC Theatres: Your Demon Discount can get you $9 movie passes for any AMC Theatres location. All you need to do is visit the Office of Student Involvement with your student ID, either in the Loop (Room 11027 in the DePaul Center) or LPC (Room 201 in the LPC Student Center). Please note that there is a limit to four tickets per DePaul ID, and ticket quantities are limited each quarter.
- Ravinia Festival: Ravinia is a great pavilion for concerts. DePaul students receive free lawn passes with their Demon Discount to all Martin Theatre and Chicago Symphony Orchestra concerts (with the exclusion of the Gala Benefit concert and movie nights).
- Facets: DePaul students can watch independent and international films at Facets with their Demon Discount, which will give them $7 student tickets. Additionally, your Demon Discount gets you 10% off of Film School Classes, which, according to Facets, “present opportunities for adults to develop and deepen their film knowledge through lectures and classes presented by film teachers and scholars.”
- DePaul Music Performances: Most performances by the DePaul School of Music are free to DePaul students. Performances take place at either the DePaul Concert Hall or the DePaul Recital Hall. Visit this page for a calendar of performances.
- DePaul Theatre Performances: Theater School performances are available at a discounted rate, with the top ticket price being $15. Performances take place at the Merle Reskin Theatre for The Theatre School Showcase (contemporary plays) and the Goodman Children’s Theatre for the Chicago Playworks for Families and Young Audiences (children’s theatre). Visit this page for a calendar of performances.
Museums and Zoos
- Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum: At this museum, you can expect to learn about the “natural history of the Chicago region and child and adult education,” and experience a live butterfly house. Entry is free with a DePaul ID. Once a month, the museum hosts an event for adults called Nature on Tap where you can roam the museum (kid free), have a drink, and listen to live music.
- Art Institute of Chicago: Entry to this famous museum is free with your DePaul ID. You can see paintings by Claude Monet, view “American Gothic” in person, and even grab a bite to eat.
- The Museum of Contemporary Art: The MoCA is dedicated “to bring artists and audiences together, presenting contemporary art and culture in ways that illuminate what it means to be a citizen of both Chicago and the world.” With a valid student ID, entry into the museum is just $7.
- The Museum of Contemporary Photography: Founded by Columbia College Chicago, this museum has free admission and “collaborates with artists, photographers, communities, and institutions locally, nationally, and internationally” to provide collections and exhibits for viewing.
- The DePaul Art Museum: DePaul’s art museum is conveniently located next to the Fullerton CTA stop and admission is free! Host to various exhibits and installations, the museum also puts on various events throughout the school year, such as receptions and discussions with artists.
- Field Museum: Home of SUE, the world famous largest and most complete T. Rex ever found, this museum is also a temporary home to the Terracotta Warriors of the first emperor of China until January 8th, 2017. While the museum has different general admission prices depending on the exhibits you want to see, on certain days throughout the year, basic admission is free for Illinois residents who bring valid proof of residency with them. Visit this page to learn more about upcoming free days and find out what you can bring to the museum as proof of residency.
- Museum of Science and Industry: In addition to regular ticket prices, The Museum of Science and Industry has free days for Illinois residents with proof of residency and discounts for Chicago residents ($3 off your ticket). Visit here to learn more about free days and the Chicago discount.
- Chicago History Museum: This museum highlights important exhibits and events in Chicago and U.S. history, and entry is free with your DePaul ID. You can even take 10% off of items at the museum store and cafe.
- DuSable Museum of African American History: The mission of the DuSable Museum is “to preserve and interpret the experiences and achievements of people of African descent” and “it is dedicated to the collection, documentation, preservation and study of the history and culture of Africans and African Americans.” As a DePaul student, you can receive a discounted student annual membership rate of $25.
- Shedd Aquarium: Chicago’s aquarium and home to a myriad of marine life, the Shedd Aquarium offers different prices based on the different exhibits and shows you would like to see. General admission is free for Illinois on certain days throughout the year with proof of residency. Check here for upcoming free days.
- Adler Planetarium: If you are interested in all things space, this is the place to be! With shows about our galaxy, exhibits on rocket science, and a conservatory, the Adler has a wonderful way of making you feel humble in the grand scheme of the universe. Students and seniors receive a $2 discount, but the Adler also has free days for Illinois residents with proof of residency. Click here for a list of free days.
- National Museum of Mexican Art: Admission is free at this museum, which features Mexican, Chicano, and Latino art and culture. The museum also hosts events, which you can look at here.
- The Richard H. Driehaus Gallery of Stained Glass: Located at Navy Pier, the Driehaus Gallery of Stained Glass is free to the public and displays beautiful works of Tiffany stained glass.
- The Oriental Institute Museum: A part of the Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago, the institute “displays objects recovered by Oriental Institute excavations in permanent galleries devoted to ancient Egypt, Nubia, Persia, Mesopotamia, Syria, Anatolia, and the ancient site of Megiddo, as well as rotating special exhibits.” Admission is free.
- Lincoln Park Zoo: It is free to get into the Lincoln Park Zoo! This is also a nice space to study at hours when children are in school and not too many people come to the zoo.
- Clarke House Museum: This is the city’s oldest house, built in 1836 before the great minds of the Chicago School of Architecture started to build skyscrapers. It is an example of the some of the earliest architectural styles of the city that we have come to know today. Admission is free, but you need to be with at least four other people to get a tour.
- Glessner House Museum: This is the only structure left in the city built by famous architect Henry Hobson Richardson, who popularized the style of the Richardson Romanesque. Wednesdays are free!
- Loyola University Museum of Art: LUMA’s mission is “to illuminate … enduring spiritual questions,” which they have attempted to accomplish with their medieval, Renaissance, and Baroque art collections. You can get in for free every Tuesday.
McCormick Bridgehouse and Chicago River Museum: Looking for a museum that is especially unique to Chicago? This one is for you. TimeOut Chicago says: “Friends of the Chicago River has converted the storied 1920 Michigan Avenue bridgehouse into a museum that celebrates the river’s role in building Chicago into a major metropolitan city. On display are historic photos, maps and newspaper articles, but the real attraction is getting an inside view of the bridgehouse’s massive gears, mechanisms and counterweights used to lift the bridge for boat traffic on Wednesdays and weekends.” Sundays are free, but general admission is just $5.
- National Veterans Art Museum: This museum strives to “bridge the gap between the perception and the reality of combat” through “combat inspired art.” Admission is free year round.
- Smart Museum of Art: The Smart Museum hosts the University of Chicago’s “collection of fine art and antiquities.” Admission is free daily.
- Ukrainian National Museum: This museum is free to the public and seeks to preserve and teach visitors about Ukrainian culture through a variety of exhibits, such as embroidered attire, Easter eggs, wood carvings, and more. The museum staff are very friendly and love to explain exhibits and artifacts to you.
- Chicago Sky: From May to September, your Demon Discount can get up to 33% off of tickets for this professional women’s basketball team.
- Chicago Water Sport Rentals: If you are looking to spend a day out on the water in the last few weeks of warm weather, your Demon Discount can get you discounted paddleboard, jet ski, or kayak rentals.
- Chicago White Sox: Your Demon Discount gets you discounted tickets to an MLB game! Whether you are a Sox or Cubs fan, nothing beats a day at the ballpark.
- DePaul Athletics: Students can reserve free tickets to all of DePaul’s athletic events.
Dining & Drinking
- Five After Five at the DePaul Whole Foods: Every Friday at 5pm at the Whole Foods, you can sample five (full) glasses of wine available for sale at Whole Foods with five different plates that are prepared to pair nicely with each glass. It’s only $5 to partake in this wonderful event where you can relax, eat great food, and discover new wines. Did you get all that? Five glasses of wine and five plates of food for $5 after 5pm. That’s a lot of fives. Oh, as an added bonus, you’ll even get to take your wine glass home as a souvenir.
If you have a valid DePaul ID, you can score some great discounts on food and drink! Here are the locations where your Demon Discount is applicable:
- Beef and Brandy: Receive a 15% discount when you show your DePaul ID at this breakfast, lunch, and dinner restaurant.
- Berghoff: With your DePaul ID, you can get 10% off dine-in orders at this German-American restaurant.
- Bourgeois Pig Cafe: Take 10% off any order with a DePaul ID at this cafe and coffee house that’s known for its vintage interiors and great sandwiches.
- Breakfast Lounge: If you are in the mood for breakfast food, a DePaul ID gets you a 20% discount Monday through Sunday.
- Cafe Ba-Ba-Reeba: You can get 20% off at this authentic Spanish tapas restaurant with your DePaul ID.
- Chicago’s Dog House: Students can get any hot dog, a choice of fries or frips, and a drink for $5 OR free fries or frips with any gourmet sausage, burger, or chicken sandwich purchase with a DePaul ID. (No, I didn’t misspell chips: frips are a special combination of fries and chips sold at Chicago’s Dog House.)
- Dairy Queen: A DePaul ID gets you $1 off a Blizzard or 10% off your entire order.
- Dunkin’ Donuts: If you show your DePaul ID, you can get 10% off your entire order! There is a Dunkin’ Donuts conveniently located under the Fullerton CTA stop.
- Edzo’s Burger Shop: Take 10% off of your entire order with a DePaul ID.
- Exchequer Pub: At this Loop pub, you can get 10% off of your meal if you show your DePaul ID.
- Freshii: If you are looking to eat healthy greens and protein, you can take 10% off your order with a DePaul ID.
- Green Bean Restaurant: This gluten-free eatery gives DePaul students 10% off when you show your DePaul ID.
- Home Run Inn Pizzeria: With a DePaul ID, you can get 20% off any pizza.
- Hakka Bakka Kati Rolls: What is a Kati roll? “It is a pan seared unleavened bread, layered with an egg, filled with your choice and preparation of meat/protein.” Sounds yummy, right? You can get a free lentil soup with a DePaul ID, and a special meal deal (a Kati roll, a drink, and chips) for $6.99.
- I Dream of Falafel: In the mood for Mediterranean food? You can get 10% off of your order at any Chicago location with your DePaul ID.
- Janik’s Cafe: Showing your DePaul ID gets you 20% off your food order from this extensive menu.
- Jimmy John’s: If you aren’t opting for freaky fast delivery, you can get 10% off your purchase in-store with a DePaul ID.
- Johnny’s Beef & Gyros: Showing your DePaul ID gets you 10% off your order.
- Karyn’s Restaurants: This raw and vegan fare restaurant and juice bar is great if you are looking to keep it healthy. A DePaul ID gets you “10% off the entire order on food and drinks in Karyn’s Fresh Corner Cafe and Raw Bistro for DPAM.” At the Fresh Corner cafe on Mondays and Fridays from 4pm to 6pm, you can also get half-priced smoothies with your ID.
- Knife & Tine: This lovely brunch restaurant, located a few blocks West of campus, offers DePaul students 15% off with your DePaul ID.
- Market Creations Cafe: If you are in the Loop, you can stop in for a breakfast or lunch buffet with your DePaul ID and get 10% off your food.
- Menchie’s Riverpoint Center: With your DePaul ID, you can get 20% off your frozen yogurt.
- Moe’s Southwest Grill: Looking for Southwestern fare? You can get 10% off all orders with a DePaul ID.
- Mon Ami Gabi: You can enjoy a great plate of French cuisine at the Belden Stratford near the Lincoln Park Conservatory with your DePaul ID! Take 20% off for you and one guest Monday through Thursday.
- Papa John’s Pizza: Get 30% off any order with your DePaul ID.
- Peach and Green: Get a small box of food and a small drip coffee for $5.95 with a DePaul ID.
- Pizano’s Pizza & Pasta Express: Take 15% off of pick up and delivery orders going to a DePaul housing residence or campus if you call and mention the discount.
- Plymouth Restaurant: Take 10% off your entire bill if you show your DePaul ID.
- Sbarro: Take 10% off food and drink purchases if you mention your DePaul discount prior to purchase and show ID.
- Sedgwick’s Bar & Grill: This bar and grill is located at the intersection of Lincoln and Sedgwick, just south of Armitage Avenue. With your DePaul ID, you may take 10% off of your entire bill.
- Simply It: If you mention the DePaul discount when you order and show your ID, you can get 15% off your order at this Vietnamese eatery.
- Slice Factory: If you present your DePaul ID Sunday through Thursday, you can get a 20% discount on this pizza, wings, and salad eatery.
- Snarf’s Sandwiches: If you show your DePaul ID at Snarf’s you can get a free drink as long as you get the chips and drink combo.
- Snow Dragon Shavery: This popular shaved ice stop offers a 10% discount with a DePaul ID.
- Standard Market Grill: You can take 10% off this fresh food eatery with your DePaul ID.
- Stella Barra Pizzeria: Take 20% off all orders Monday through Thursday with a DePaul ID.
- Subway: Take 10% off if you show your DePaul ID.
- Swirlz Cupcakes: Take 10% off any item with your DePaul ID.
- Uprising Woodfired Pizza Co.: Take 10% off your entire order with a DePaul ID.
- Warehouse Bar & Pizzeria: Take 15% off any in-house order or takeout order with a DePaul ID. If you are ordering out, you must announce your ID card when placing your order and present it upon delivery.
- Zoom Pizza Factory: Take 10% off any order with a DePaul ID.
As always, you can check out a full listing of Demon Discounts here.