- Kevin Pang: Hilarious, insightful, and talented writer Kevin Pang takes on food and pop culture in his column, writing about the politics of food as well as the savory nature of it. Although he is no longer writing his column for the Chicago Tribune, Kevin Pang’s archived articles are still up. His web site is here.
- Chris Jones: Jones runs “The Theater Loop” for the Chicago Tribune, where he covers theater news and offers his own reviews. His coverage is extensive, including news about comedians, television, and more. His Twitter is here, if you would like to follow him.
- Richard Roeper: Roeper is a contributing columnist for the Chicago Sun Times, where he reviews films for his readers. His reviews are excellent and very detailed without being too spoilery, so you should definitely check them out before you see a film (or after if you are like me and hate reading reviews before seeing the film).
- Lori Waxman: As a freelance contributor, Waxman writes about contemporary art for the Tribune and other publications. She is deeply versed in her beat, as she has a Ph.D in Art History from the Institute of Fine Arts.
- Blair Kamin: As a notable scholar of architecture, Kamin has brilliantly covered Chicago architecture for the Tribune since 1992. Kamin does not shy away from the politics of buildings and spaces, analyzing them thoughtfully and critically.
- Phil Vettel: Since 1986, Vettel has held the position of restaurant critic for the Tribune, and he is still writing about good (and sometimes, unfortunately mediocre) foods! That sounds like a wonderful life. If you want to read about the dining industry and up and coming eateries, check out his column.
- John von Rhein: If you have an ear for classical music, you may enjoy von Rhein’s column. As the classical music critic since 1977, von Rhein has a wealth of expertise and possesses some great insights about the Chicago classical music scene.
- Howard Reich: Since 1978, Reich has covered the arts for the Tribune and written a couple books on the subject. A highly awarded journalist, Reich reports on a variety of subjects within the arts with a focus on the Chicago area.
Blogs about Chicago
These blogs will keep you updated on events in the city, politics, fashion, entertainment, eateries, and more.
- Chicagoist: This popular site covers a wide breadth of topics in the Chicago area. With topics in news, arts and entertainment, and food, Chicagoist has something for everyone, and they pay attention to trending topics, too.
- Serious Eats Chicago: With recipes, guides, features on eateries, and cooking techniques, this blog has just about everything related to Chicago dining.
- Time Out Chicago Blog: This blog covers news, events, music, dining, nightlife, and more. The blog is up to date and has some fun, miscellaneous posts for you to enjoy.
- Chicago Like a Local: This blog features something unique: the articles are written by Chicagoans for Chicagoans. These seasoned Chicago writers have a expert take on many different aspects of city life, and will probably be able to take you off of the beaten path away from the tourists.
- Curbed Chicago: This site reads like a bulletin board for the city, with events, listings, news, and trending topics conveniently on its front page for you to pick through.
- Chicago Reader: With news, politics, music, arts, culture, film, food, drink, and classifieds, anything you are looking for, you can find in Chicago Reader.
Arts and Literary
- The Big Roundtable: According to the site, “The Big Roundtable is a home, both online and offline, for writers with true stories they need to tell and readers looking for compelling tales.” This is a great read for anyone who is in want of some non-fiction stories.
- Chicago Review of Books: As the title suggests, here you will find book reviews, interviews with authors, and news about the literary world.
- Slag Glass City: This online journal is run by DePaul’s own Dr. Barrie Jean Borich. Specializing in nonfiction arts, this journal has internships and editor positions available to DePaul students, and takes submissions, as well. It is a great way to get your work published as a DePaul student.
- Tony Fitzpatrick: A featured artist at the DePaul Art Museum, Fitzpatrick’s blog is full of his artwork and some insights as to what motivated his work. Definitely an inspiring read.
- Jim DeRogatis: DeRogatis covers the politics of rock n’ roll, which is a very unique beat to cover, yet interesting all the same.
- The Thesis Whisperer: This blog is a resource for those of you who are in the process of/planning to write your thesis. This is a a great place to visit when you are stuck and need some motivation, or if you want some helpful tips and advice when moving along in your work.
- GradHacker: This blog is a nice resource for graduate students that need advice with various aspects of academia.
Travel and Lifestyle
- Lion + Maven: This blog is a great inspiration for traveling! Run by a blogger named Lauren, each post chronicles Lauren’s adventures traveling around the globe.
- So Fawned Lifestyle: Blogger Désirée Fawn posts about many things in her online magazine: parenting, technology, cooking, recipes, fashion, books, and more.
- The Cultureur: This blogger documents their travel and lifestyle experience throughout many countries. This blog is a great read if you are looking to read up on the process of traveling to a country before you get on a plane.
Motivational and Personal Development
- Sam Davidson: As an entrepreneur, Davidson has some great advice for young entrepreneurs looking to start working in an area in which they are passionate.
- Scott H. Young: Young writes about being an entrepreneur and career development. He also humanizes his blog by writing about his own lifestyle experiences.
- Zen Habits: If you are in need of self-care and ways to clear up your mind (and clutter in your life), this is a wonderful resource blog. The blog covers a variety of areas from exercise to mental health.
Business and Finance
- Wake Up Cloud: As an author of a couple financial books, Henri is here to help you learn how to turn your passions into a profitable career.